Naturopathy for Children
Autism and ADHD
While heavy metal toxicity can have a negative effect on us all, children born with an already genetically vulnerable immune system are at risk of becoming even more compromised from the various forms of toxicity that exist in our environment. Autistic children have elevated difficulty in metabolizing or removing heavy metal from their bodies, making my evidence based approach to children’s health particularly valuable.
I utilise a multi-faceted strategy to help reduce toxic metal ingestion for children with autism and ADHD, with a main focus on diet, mineral supplements, the removal of parasites, improving gut bacteria, and supporting the body and emotions with gentle, safe remedies and natural supplements.
These processes aim to support:
- Detoxification of heavy metals, residual drug effects and environmental toxins
- Reduction of inflammation
- Rebalancing of gut flora
- Healing of the mucous membranes, including the intestinal lining
- Advising of dietary protocols such as the essential removal of gluten and dairy and excess sugar from the diet
With the delicate health of children involved, my focus is on treatment plans that works towards heavy metal detoxification over time. Where my natural therapies exist I strive to treat the underlying cause, not simply the symptoms. Therefore, the treatment plan for children covers 12-18 months (depending on age and severity of conditions).
Parasites and Dysfunctional Immune Systems
Parasites thrive within dysfunctional digestive tracts and compromised immune systems. They are prevalent in many older children with autism and are made worse by added toxins and chemicals.
Symptoms of parasites may include:
- Aggression and defiant behaviours
- Teeth grinding and playing with saliva
- Mood swings
- Behaviours worse at full moon
- Disturbed sleep and irregular sleep patterns
- Anal itching
- Desire for strange things such as dirt, chalk. (This may manifest as Pica – the desire to consume dirt or other substances with no nutritional value.)
If you feel like your child may be suffering with parasitic infections, please reach out and contact me for a comprehensive wellness plan to return your little loved ones to full health.
The Facts – Heavy Metals and Autism
Recent studies have shown that autistic children have particular difficulty in metabolizing or removing heavy metals from their bodies, while developing brains and immune systems are more susceptible to the effects of heavy metals and other toxins. Studies have shown:
- Lodine levels were 45% lower in the children with autism.
- Autistic children with pica (strange cravings) had a 38% lower level of chromium.
- Autistic children with low muscle tone had very low levels of potassium and high zinc.
- The mothers of young children with autism had especially low levels of lithium, the young children (ages 3–6 yrs) with autism also had low lithium. Low lithium affects neurological and immunological development
- Autistic children showed high significance of copper in their bodies. The higher the level of copper in the child the more severe was the autism. Studies show a significant elevation in the levels of toxic metals lead and mercury in autistic children when compared to a healthy control group.
- The levels of trace elements magnesium, zinc and selenium are significantly decreased in autistic children.